My fantastic friend Jade shared this recipe with me and I am so thankful she did. I am not the biggest fan of ginger but this soup is so…calming? It was very comforting and it made my stomach feel so peaceful. My first go of it left the soup a little dry so it ended up as more of a puree. If you want a smoother consistency, add some more broth or water to the soup and blend again.
Gingered Carrot Soup
Total Time: about 55 minutes (I forgot to time it, but it’s probably about 1 hour and 30 minutes with prep)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups chopped and peeled carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sautee onions and ginger in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add carrots and vegetable broth and reduce heat to medium. Allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
- Add orange juice and stir well.
- Working in small batches and using a food processor or blender, process soup until smooth.
- Return to pot or serving bowl and add nutmeg, salt, and pepper, stirring well. Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream if desired and enjoy!