I was walking around today and got the greatest urge to bake a cake. And not just any cake; I specifically wanted to make a lemon-poppy seed cake with strawberry cream cheese frosting.
I also really wanted the pride that came along with making some kind of recipe of my own, so I went for it, and here is the delicious results. Although the frosting came out more like a glaze, it is still good and still really worth making. Since I didn’t need a lot of cake, this recipe only makes one cake round and enough glaze to cover it. You can multiply the ingredients by the number of layers you want to make a stacked cake. I apologize for the long recipe name.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Cake with Strawberry-Cream Cheese Glaze
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray. Or a little butter.
- Cream the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for 5 minutes at medium speed. Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add flower and milk to the mixture, alternating both and ending with flour. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, and poppy seeds; beat to mix.
- Pour batter into the cake pan. Tap the pan on the counter 3-4 times to remove any air bubbles. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. The cake will not brown on the top.
- While the cake cools, mix the glaze. Add cream cheese, strawberries, and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and mix with the electric mixer. The strawberries will eventually blend. Pour the strawberry glaze over the cake and enjoy!