I’m not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy the occasional vegetarian entree. I also enjoy the occasional tofu. Unfortunately, I am horrible at cooking tofu- I can never get the right consistency. The pattern still held true this time, but I think I’m getting there. Practice makes perfect, right?
Jungle Curry with Tofu
From Cooking Light, September 2012
Total Time: 26 minutes (45 minutes by my count)
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice (I found brown jasmine rice- it has a wonderful nutty scent)
- 1 (12-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups (2-inch) cut haricots verts
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste (I could only find green curry sauce. May have to use more sauce to get the right amount of spice; you could barely taste the curry sauce at all with only 2 tablespoons).
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Place tofu on several layers of paper towels, and cover with additional paper towels. Let stand for 5 minutes, pressing down once.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tofu; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. If you enjoy crispier, drier, tofu like I do, then I would keep cooking it a few minutes more. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add haricots verts, eggplant, and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you’re like me again, and prefer to have softer green beans, add the beans first and cook 1-2 minutes before adding the eggplant and bell pepper. Add curry paste; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add broth, soy sauce, sugar, and rind; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add reserved tofu; cook 1minute. Place 1/2 cup rice in each of 4 shallow bowls. Top each with about 1 1/2 cups tofu mixture and 1/4 cup basil. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.